These are organized by a classification scheme developed exclusively for Cosma. More…
United Kingdom : or in full United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland country in western Europe in the British Isles comprising Great Britain (England, Scotland, and Wales) and Northern Ireland; capital London area 94,251 square miles (244,110 square kilometers), population 63,182,178 — Webster
United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, commonly known as the United Kingdom (UK) or Britain, is a sovereign country in western Europe. Lying off the north-western coast of the European mainland, the United Kingdom includes the island of Great Britain, the north-eastern part of the island of Ireland and many smaller islands. Northern Ireland is the only part of the United Kingdom that shares a land border with another sovereign state—the Republic of Ireland. Apart from this land border, the United Kingdom is surrounded by the Atlantic Ocean, with the North Sea to its east, the English Channel to its south and the Celtic Sea to its south-south-west, giving it the 12th-longest coastline in the world. The Irish Sea lies between Great Britain and Ireland. With an area of 242,500 square kilometres (93,600 sq mi), the United Kingdom is the 78th-largest sovereign state in the world and the 11th-largest in Europe. It is also the 21st-most populous country, with an estimated 65.1 million inhabitants.
The United Kingdom is a constitutional monarchy with a parliamentary system of governance. The monarch is Queen Elizabeth II, who has reigned since 6 February 1952. The capital of the United Kingdom and its largest city is London, a global city and financial centre with an urban area population of 10.3 million, the fourth-largest in Europe and second-largest in the European Union. Other major urban areas in the United Kingdom include the regions of Birmingham, Leeds, Glasgow, Liverpool and Manchester. The United Kingdom consists of four countries—England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. The last three have devolved administrations, each with varying powers, based in their capitals, Edinburgh, Cardiff and Belfast, respectively. The nearby Isle of Man, Bailiwick of Guernsey and Bailiwick of Jersey are not part of the United Kingdom, being Crown dependencies with the British Government responsible for defence and international representation.
The relationships among the countries of the UK have changed over time. Wales was annexed by the Kingdom of England under the Laws in Wales Acts 1535 and 1542. A treaty between England and Scotland resulted in 1707 in a unified Kingdom of Great Britain, which merged in 1801 with the Kingdom of Ireland to form the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland. Five-sixths of Ireland seceded from the UK in 1922, leaving the present formulation of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. There are fourteen British Overseas Territories. These are the remnants of the British Empire which, at its height in the 1920s, encompassed almost a quarter of the world’s land mass and was the largest empire in history. British influence can be observed in the language, culture and legal systems of many of its former colonies. — Wikipedia
- British Airways resumes flights from London after IT outage but many passengers still wait May 28, 2017 2:11 pm
- Police arrest 14th person in connection with Manchester attack May 28, 2017 2:55 pm
- May's lead narrows after Manchester attack placing landslide win in doubt May 28, 2017 2:58 pm
- Defence minister denies report of divisions in May's team May 28, 2017 10:08 am
- Britain says some of Manchester bomber's network potentially still at large May 28, 2017 3:18 pm
- UK says making progress with tech companies on getting encrypted militant messages May 28, 2017 10:51 am
- May's lead narrows after Manchester attack placing landslide win in doubt May 28, 2017 12:03 am
- May's lead narrows to 10 percent points - Opinium poll May 27, 2017 4:21 pm
- Obama offers condolences to Manchester victims in Prince Harry meeting May 27, 2017 3:11 pm
- Two British jets dispatched after Russian incursion May 27, 2017 12:46 pm