Note: These are 360° videos — press and hold to explore them!
These are organized by a classification scheme developed exclusively for Cosma. More…
panda : a large black-and-white mammal (Ailuropoda melanoleuca) of chiefly central China that feeds primarily on bamboo shoots and is now usually classified with the bears (family Ursidae) See also Red Panda — Webster
Phys.org - latest science and technology news stories Phys.org internet news portal provides the latest news on science including: Physics, Nanotechnology, Life Sciences, Space Science, Earth Science, Environment, Health and Medicine.
- Indigenous lands: A haven for wildlifeon January 21, 2021 at 4:34 pm
Indigenous peoples' lands may harbor a significant proportion of threatened and endangered species globally, according to University of Queensland-led research.
- Pandas' popularity not protecting neighborson January 4, 2021 at 4:55 pm
Forgive Asiatic black bear if they're not impressed with their popular giant panda neighbors.
- Second Taiwan-born panda cub makes media debuton December 28, 2020 at 1:30 pm
A second Taiwan-born giant panda made her media debut on Monday, clambering over a wooden climbing frame and playing with sawdust to the sound of clicking cameras.
- Orangutans yawn contagiously when they see others...on December 21, 2020 at 4:53 pm
For the first time, contagious yawning has now also been found in a species that roams its territory mostly in solitude and is less frequently engaged in social interactions: the orangutan. Publication in Nature Scientific Reports by an international group of scientists with lead-author Evy van Berlo, psychologist at Leiden University.
- First-known fossil iguana burrow found in the...on December 9, 2020 at 8:17 pm
The discovery of the first known fossil iguana nesting burrow, on an outer island of the Bahamas, fills in a gap of scientific knowledge for a prehistoric behavior of an iconic lizard. PLOS ONE published the finding by scientists from Emory University, which also uncovers new clues to the geologic and natural history of the Bahamas.
- Why giant pandas roll around in horse manureon December 8, 2020 at 2:30 pm
A team of researchers at the Chinese Academy of Sciences working with the Beijing Zoo, has found a possible explanation for horse manure rolling (HMR) by giant pandas. In their paper published in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, the group outlines their decade-long study of the odd behavior by the pandas and what they found.
- National Zoo extends panda deal with China...on December 7, 2020 at 8:41 pm
The National Zoo has struck a new extension of its longstanding agreement with the Chinese government that will keep the zoo's iconic giant pandas in Washington for another three years.
- Human reproductive technologies like sperm...on December 4, 2020 at 12:46 pm
More and more threatened species are relying on captive breeding to avoid extinction. Some species on the brink only exist in captivity, and others depend on captive breeding for their recovery before they're released to the wild.
- The secret origins of China's 40-year plan to end...on November 23, 2020 at 8:00 pm
The biggest emitter of planet-warming pollution managed to take almost the whole world by surprise. In a September speech to the United Nations, Chinese President Xi Jinping put a 2060 end date on his country's contribution to global warming. No other nation can do more to keep warming below the 1.5C threshold set in the Paris Agreement. Yet diplomats, climate activists and even policy experts inside China for the most part had not anticipated this pivotal turnabout.
- National Zoo panda cub named Xiao Qi Ji or...on November 23, 2020 at 5:38 pm
More than three months after his birth, the National Zoo's new panda cub finally has a name.