Note: These are 360° videos — press and hold to explore them!
These are organized by a classification scheme developed exclusively for Cosma. More…
panda : a large black-and-white mammal (Ailuropoda melanoleuca) of chiefly central China that feeds primarily on bamboo shoots and is now usually classified with the bears (family Ursidae) See also Red Panda — Webster
Phys.org - latest science and technology news stories Phys.org internet news portal provides the latest news on science including: Physics, Nanotechnology, Life Sciences, Space Science, Earth Science, Environment, Health and Medicine.
- Panda loaned to France by China is pregnant...on July 20, 2021 at 6:09 pm
Huan Huan, a giant panda on loan to France by Beijing since 2012, is pregnant again and could soon grace the country with her second cub, the Beauval zoo in central France said Tuesday.
- Mexico announces new plan to protect near-extinct...on July 15, 2021 at 7:38 am
The Mexican government on Wednesday announced new measures that it said were aimed at saving the critically endangered vaquita porpoise, the world's rarest marine mammal.
- The evolution of the giant panda's...on July 9, 2021 at 3:19 pm
Although the giant panda is in practice a herbivore, its masticatory system functions differently from the other herbivores. Through the processes of natural selection, the giant panda's dietary preference has strongly impacted the evolution of its teeth and jaws. Researchers from the Institute of Dentistry at the University of Turku and the Biodiversity unit of the University of Turku together with researchers from the China Conservation and Research Center for Giant Panda (CCRCGP) have been […]
- DNAzymes could outperform protein enzymes for...on June 25, 2021 at 12:10 pm
Move over, gene-editing proteins—there's a smaller, cheaper, more specific genetic engineering tool on the block: DNAzymes—small DNA molecules that can function like protein enzymes.
- Rare poached cacti found in Italy sent home to...on June 18, 2021 at 2:18 pm
Armed with a search warrant, Italy's police wildlife unit entered the house of a suspected cactus trafficker, finding over 1,000 rare cacti poached from Chile's Atacama Desert in a locked room.
- Third giant panda cub born in Malaysiaon June 2, 2021 at 12:32 pm
A giant panda loaned to Malaysia from China has given birth to a rare third cub during its stay in the Southeast Asian country, wildlife officials said Wednesday.
- Partners in crime: Agricultural pest relies on...on May 27, 2021 at 8:09 pm
Although insect larvae may seem harmless to humans, they can be extremely dangerous to the plant species that many of them feed on, and some of those plant species are important as agricultural crops. Although plants cannot simply flee from danger like animals typically would, many have nonetheless evolved ingenious strategies to defend themselves from herbivores. Herbivorous insect larvae will commonly use their mouths to smear various digestive proteins onto plants that they want to eat, and […]
- San Diego Zoo's golden takin calf offers glimpse...on May 19, 2021 at 8:45 pm
One of the San Diego Zoo's newest and youngest animals is already finding her footing—even on rocky ground.
- Incest isn't a taboo in the animal kingdom, new...on May 19, 2021 at 2:20 pm
We humans tend to regard incest as deeply disturbing. It's a strong social taboo, and it's underpinned by sound biological reasoning. Mixing genes with a non-relative is beneficial because it increases genetic diversity, while genetic defects often occur in the offspring of related parents.
- Zoo YouTube videos prioritize entertainment over...on May 11, 2021 at 4:02 pm
YouTube channels run by zoos focus on entertainment over education, according to a new study.