These are organized by a classification scheme developed exclusively for Cosma. More…
world : (1) the earth with its inhabitants and all things upon it ;
(2) the inhabitants of the earth
(3) the concerns of the earth and its affairs as distinguished from heaven and the life to come b : secular affairs
(4) a division or generation of the inhabitants of the earth distinguished by living together at the same place or at the same time b : a distinctive class of persons or their sphere of interest or activity
(5) human society
(6) a part or section of the earth that is a separate independent unit
(7) the sphere or scene of one’s life and action
(8) the whole body of living persons
(9) kingdom 5
(10) a celestial body (as a planet) — Webster See also Oxford, OneLook, Free Dictionary, Wiktionary, InfoPlease, Word Reference, Urban Dictionary
is a common name for the whole of human civilization, specifically human experience, history, or the human condition in general, worldwide, i.e. anywhere on Earth.
In a philosophical context it may refer to: (1) the whole of the physical Universe, or (2) an ontological world (see world disclosure). In a theological context, world usually refers to the material or the profane sphere, as opposed to the celestial, spiritual, transcendent or sacred. The “end of the world” refers to scenarios of the final end of human history, often in religious contexts.
World history is commonly understood as spanning the major geopolitical developments of about five millennia, from the first civilizations to the present.
World population is the sum of all human populations at any time; similarly, world economy is the sum of the economies of all societies (all countries), especially in the context of globalization. Terms like world championship, gross world product, world flags etc. also imply the sum or combination of all current-day sovereign states.
In terms such as world religion, world language, and world war, world suggests international or intercontinental scope without necessarily implying participation of the entire world.
In terms such as world map and world climate, world is used in the sense detached from human culture or civilization, referring to the planet Earth physically. — Wikipedia
History Resources (Internet Public Library)
History Directory (WWW Virtual Library)
Encyclopedia Smithsonian, History and Culture
New Illustrated Encycopedia of World History (Lander)
Best of History Websites (Tom Daccord & Justin Reich)
Smithsonian Museum Collections
Conversations with History
|Timeline of Human Evolution, Knowledge and Culture (Poster)
Timeline of World (History World)
The Outline of History: Being a Plain History of Life and Mankind (H.G. Wells)
UPI World News
- Militant leader's killing prompts violent Kashmir protests May 27, 2017 9:21 pmA popular militant commander and a lieutenant were killed by Indian security forces in Kashmir on Saturday, touching off violent anti-government protests.
- Egypt's jets strike suspected 'terrorist camps' in Libya after bus attack May 27, 2017 4:30 pmEgypt's air force launched strikes on suspected "terrorist camps" in Libya after a bus attack on Christians earlier Friday, the government announced.
- Nearly 500,000 displaced in Sri Lanka floods May 27, 2017 3:58 pmMore than 100 people have died and nearly 500,000 displaced in Sri Lanka after flooding and mudslides triggered monsoons, the government said.
- British Airways cancels flights from London airports after IT glitch May 27, 2017 2:33 pmBritish Airways canceled all flights out of London's two airports because of computer outage during the start of annual holidays in Britain and United States.
- Trump holds off climate change pact, will make decision 'next week' May 27, 2017 2:00 pmPresident Donald Trump said Saturday he will make a decision next week on whether the United States would stay in the Paris climate agreement.
- Russia, China: THAAD was deployed in South Korea under pretext May 27, 2017 3:17 amRussia and China agreed the deployment of a U.S. missile defense system in South Korea increases tensions on the peninsula.
- Dozens of Egyptian Coptic Christians killed, hurt in militant attack on bus May 26, 2017 9:38 pmGunmen opened fire on a bus carrying Coptic Christians in the Minya province Friday, killing nearly 30 people and injuring many others, authorities said.
- North Korea imports of Chinese grain rising, data show May 26, 2017 6:49 pmNorth Korea's imports of grain from China are soaring.
- Trump, May other leaders at G7 sign agreement against Internet terrorism May 26, 2017 6:27 pmLeaders at the G7 summit in Italy agreed Friday that more needs to be done to fight global terrorism -- both on the ground and on the Internet.
- As Ramadan begins, Muslim leaders seek calm, prayers May 26, 2017 5:42 pmMuslim leaders in Britain called for calm and special prayers for the victims of the Manchester bombing as the holy month of Ramadan begins.
- Report: Superstition a bigger crime than prostitution in North Korea May 26, 2017 5:32 pmSeeking an answer about an uncertain future from a soothsayer is a more serious crime than prostitution in North Korea, according to sources in the country.
- Estonia expels two Russian diplomats May 26, 2017 4:46 pmThe Estonian government expelled two Russian diplomats serving in the nation's third-largest city, though officials refused to say why.
- Dozens killed after flooding, mudslides in Sri Lanka May 26, 2017 3:55 pmMonsoon rain caused mass flooding and mudslides that have killed at least 91 people in Sri Lanka, government officials said Friday.
- South Korea approves joint civic fight against malaria in North Korea May 26, 2017 3:47 pmSouth Korea could soon help North Korea fight malaria, six years after a joint disease-fighting project was suspended due to tensions on the peninsula.
- War monitor: U.S.-led coalition airstrikes kill over 100 IS family members May 26, 2017 3:43 pmA war monitor said at least 106 family members of the Islamic State, including 42 children, were killed in airstrikes carried out by the U.S.-led coalition.
- 18 Afghan soldiers killed in clash with Taliban in Kandahar, Afghanistan May 26, 2017 3:16 pmAt least 18 Afghan soldiers died in a Taliban attack on a Kandahar province, Afghanistan, military base earlier this week, government sources said.
- China slams U.S. operations in South China Sea May 26, 2017 1:51 pmChinese state media issued a stern editorial two days after a U.S. destroyer sailed within 12 nautical miles of disputed islands.
- BMW unveils its Series 8 concept car May 26, 2017 1:47 pmBMW Group unveiled its Series 8 concept car Friday at the Concorso d'Eleganza in Ville D'Este, Italy.
- Trump meets with Abe on 'big problem' North Korea May 26, 2017 1:33 pmDonald Trump said North Korea is a "big problem" that "will be solved" during a meeting with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe ahead of the G7 summit in Italy.
- Britain resumes sharing Manchester intelligence with U.S. May 26, 2017 11:10 amBritish officials said authorities resumed sharing intelligence with the U.S. after a suspension due to information leaks related to the Manchester bombing.
- Brazilian troops recalled from streets of capital after brief deployment May 26, 2017 4:32 amBrazilian President Michel Temer recalled troops from Brasilia less than 24 hours after deploying them to restore order in the nation's capital.
- Report: Canceled North Korea airline route raised safety concerns May 25, 2017 7:23 pmA fledgling North Korean airline route between the Chinese city of Dandong and Pyongyang was canceled because of a lack of demand.
- U.S.: Airstrike chain reaction led to over 100 civilian deaths in Mosul May 25, 2017 6:27 pmU.S. Central Command said over 101 Mosul civilians died after a U.S.-led coalition airstrike targeting two Islamic State snipers detonated other explosives.
- Trump urges NATO members to pay their share for defense May 25, 2017 6:21 pmPresident Donald Trump visited NATO headquarters in Brussels, telling top European Union officials that many member nations must spend more on defense.
- Ex-Greek PM Papademos injured by mail bomb in Athens May 25, 2017 6:10 pmFormer Greek Prime Minister Lucas Papademos and a driver were injured after a bomb exploded inside his car in Athens on Thursday, officials said.