See also Travel
These are organized by a classification scheme developed exclusively for Cosma. More…
World : (1) the earth with its inhabitants and all things upon it ;
(2) the inhabitants of the earth
(3) the concerns of the earth and its affairs as distinguished from heaven and the life to come b : secular affairs
(4) a division or generation of the inhabitants of the earth distinguished by living together at the same place or at the same time b : a distinctive class of persons or their sphere of interest or activity
(5) human society
(6) a part or section of the earth that is a separate independent unit
(7) the sphere or scene of one’s life and action
(8) the whole body of living persons
(10) a celestial body (as a planet) — Webster
World is a common name for the whole of human civilization, specifically human experience, history, or the human condition in general, worldwide, i.e. anywhere on Earth.
In a philosophical context it may refer to: (1) the whole of the physical Universe, or (2) an ontological world (see world disclosure). In a theological context, world usually refers to the material or the profane sphere, as opposed to the celestial, spiritual, transcendent or sacred. The “end of the world” refers to scenarios of the final end of human history, often in religious contexts.
World history is commonly understood as spanning the major geopolitical developments of about five millennia, from the first civilizations to the present.
World population is the sum of all human populations at any time; similarly, world economy is the sum of the economies of all societies (all countries), especially in the context of globalization. Terms like world championship, gross world product, world flags etc. also imply the sum or combination of all current-day sovereign states.
In terms such as world religion, world language, and world war, world suggests international or intercontinental scope without necessarily implying participation of the entire world.
In terms such as world map and world climate, world is used in the sense detached from human culture or civilization, referring to the planet Earth physically. — Wikipedia
This is a 360° YouTube video — press and hold to explore!
- 2020 Hubble Space Telescope Advent Calendarby Alan Taylor on December 1, 2020 at 3:20 pm
Every day until Friday, December 25, we’ll present one new image of our universe from NASA’s orbiting telescope.
- The Nazi Inspiring China’s Communistsby Chang Che on December 1, 2020 at 11:00 am
A decades-old legal argument used by Hitler has found support in Beijing.
- Photos of the Week: Turkey Pardon, Deer Hoof,...by Alan Taylor on November 27, 2020 at 5:30 am
A foggy sunrise in Germany, a fiery protest in Guatemala, a strongman contest in Crimea, the ongoing pandemic worldwide, mourning in Argentina for Diego Maradona, and much more
- Autumn Colors and Autumn Chillby Alan Taylor on November 25, 2020 at 4:35 pm
One last look at the colorful beauty of this autumn, seen in cities and countryside vistas across the Northern Hemisphere
- Why Political Leaders Are Never to Blameby Tom McTague on November 23, 2020 at 11:00 am
Barack Obama and Margaret Thatcher are prophets who came to embody their countries’ stories and, crucially, changed those stories.
World News - UPI.com World News - UPI.com
- China urges release of Huawei executive on...on December 1, 2020 at 5:17 pm
China called for the release of Huawei's chief financial officer on the two-year anniversary of her arrest at Vancouver International Airport.
- Driver rams into pedestrians in western Germany;...on December 1, 2020 at 5:12 pm
At least two people were killed Tuesday in west-central Germany when a vehicle veered into a pedestrian zone and began ramming people, police said.
- 'Lifeline' aid to Palestinian refugees in Lebanon...on December 1, 2020 at 4:30 pm
Palestinian refugees in Lebanon are at risk of losing their only source of survival as the United Nations agency that has been supporting them since its creation in 1949 is running out of cash.
- Germany bans neo-Nazi group 'Wolf Brigade 44,'...on December 1, 2020 at 3:37 pm
The German government on Tuesday formally barred a neo-Nazi group, which it said is attempting to re-establish a national socialist state -- by violent means, if necessary.
- South Korean convenience store chain to offer...on December 1, 2020 at 3:08 pm
A South Korean convenience store chain has announced plans to launch a robot delivery service, as the COVID-19 pandemic pushes the service industry to go contactless.